Manhood and Wellbeing
Declining energy with age? Here are some useful tips to boost men’s vitality.
Are you one of the men that occasionally feels tired easily or low in energy as you hit 40? Men’s vitality is associated with their energy, and it declines with age. Vitality is not just about stamina and a symbol of health, but it also associated with sexuality. A man with great vitality has a strong libido, a normal sexual function, a healthy male reproductive system, good muscle mass and a more stable temperament.
If you are tired all the time, feeling low in energy and not sure about what you should do, don’t despair! To restore your vitality, you must identify the source of your energy depletion and here are 6 common causes why guys experience low energy.
Decrease in testosterone level. Testosterone facilitates the growth of sperm, body hair and increase your sex urges. Men’s testosterone levels start to diminish gradually in their 30’s and significantly when they turn 40. Erectile dysfunction, fatigue, mood swings and decreased in sex drive are symptoms of low testosterone level.
Low thyroid hormone. When your thyroid gland doesn’t function properly, you may develop hypothyroidism. Low thyroid hormone can lead to low levels of testosterone. Hypothyroidism symptoms include fatigue, dry skin, constipation, depression and feeling cold.
Poor Diet. Eating a diet that is lacking in major nutrients can cause fatigue or low energy. For example, anemia is a common nutritional deficiency caused by a lack of iron.
Lack of exercise. Exercise increases adrenaline and energy levels. People may notice that their energy levels decrease after they spend a long time without exercising.
Sleep deprivation. Ongoing trouble of falling asleep or staying asleep not only causes an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease and fatigue, but it also reduces testosterone production, resulting from the constant high level of cortisol that created from prolonged insomnia.
Chronic Stress. Prolonged stress can affect testosterone production resulting in a decline in sex drive or libido and can even cause erectile dysfunction or impotence.
So, how to regain energy and vitality?
- Optimize nutrients level. It is critical to consume sufficient micronutrients such as Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C and Iron as these are important to maintain men’s energy. To boost strength and vitality, you may also include certain specific foods, such as watermelon, which contains citrulline to boost libido; beetroots, which are high in antioxidants, vitamins, and nitrates to improve sexual performance; and a combination of walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts that contain high amounts of zinc to enhance the quality of sperms.
- Exercise and weightlifting. All forms of exercise that promote muscle building not only increase your strength and fitness, improve blood circulation, but also increase your testosterone levels. Resistance training such as weightlifting and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) are the most effective because the more muscle you gain, the higher your testosterone level.
- Get restful sleep at night. Hormone testosterone is produced when you sleep and decreases when you are awake. According to a long -term study, men who slept for only four hours per night had testosterone levels that were borderline inadequate. On the contrary, another study showed that testosterone levels typically increase by 15% on average for every additional hour of sleep. As a result, it is important to get at least 7 hours of sleep per night to allow your body to work through its sleep cycles. If you’re suffering from low testosterone, practicing good sleep habit could be an easy approach to kickstart your body.
- Manage stress healthily. It’s hard to cope with stressful situations when you’re depressed. Take a deep breath and relax, give yourself a moment to gather your thoughts and assess the importance of the situation and how much it affects in the long run. You may speak to the person about your concerns and be open minded during the conversation. Alternatively, you may switch your attention elsewhere, such as go for a walk, read a book, meet up for coffee with a friend or hit the gym to burn off this extra energy. Always remember that excessive alcohol drinking, drugs, gambling, and smoking are not the ideal ways to cope with stress.
- Avoid carbonated beverages with aspartame. Aspartame, an artificial sweetener, are widely used in beverages that promote low sugar or sugar-free for people who wants to have great tasting with low calories. According to a study, aspartame is highly associated with low sperm count, decreased in the sperm quality and reduce men’s vitality.
If you're concerned that your vitality is fading as you approach midlife, rest easy. By changing certain poor lifestyle habits, you will not only increase vitality, but also increase your overall health and wellbeing.